Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative
Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative Inc. was incorporated in 1937 to provide electricity to rural areas of Central Texas. The co-op has over 15,000 members and over 20,000 meters served by over 3,700 miles of line.
The co-op’s service area includes parts of Bell, Bosque, Coryell, Falls, Hamilton, McLennan and Milam counties.
In order to receive electricity, a person must join the cooperative, which makes the person a member/owner. The member/owners elect a minimum of seven persons from the general membership to a Board of Directors which sets policy and hires a General Manager to operate the business. Three directors are elected each year on a rotating basis.
The co-op employs over 50 people in three departments – Operations, Administrative Services, and Member Services.
On July 1, 2007, members of McLennan County Electric Cooperative and Belfalls Electric Cooperative voted to consolidate operations, resulting in a new cooperative called Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative Inc.
Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative Inc. receives 100% of its power from Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, a generation and transmission supplier organized in 1941 to provide electric distribution cooperatives with dependable electric power at the lowest possible cost. Brazos Electric Power Cooperative is the largest generation and transmission cooperative in Texas, supplying electricity to member distributive cooperatives and municipalities that serve consumers in 66 Texas counties.
Hours of Operation:
Drive thru 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Who to Contact:
Located just off CR 317, behind McGregor High School