The McGregor Mirror is a third generation-owned newspaper. The Mirror was founded in its present location at 311 S. Main Street in McGregor, Texas in 1904. T.E. Streight was the founding editor and publisher. At that time, young teen Chas. B. Hall (grandfather of current publishers) was an apprentice typesetter. He was originally hired by W.C. O’Bryan (grandfather of Van Cliburn) when the paper was the McGregor Observer. Hall went to work for Streight in 1904, and in 1917 purchased the newspaper. He and his wife Lillie were editor and publishers for 36 years. It was later edited and published by the husband and wife team of Thomas and Bonnie (Hall) Mooney from 1956 to 1992. Current publishers, their children, Mynette Taylor, Charles Mooney and Bonnie Mullens took over ownership in 1992.
The newspaper could be a museum—still housing its original type cases and type, and a Model 14 Linotype. The linotype was purchased brand new by Hall at the State Fair in 1925. It was the first Model 14 purchased in Texas, and is still in running condition. The Mirror gives tours to groups of school children each year of its print shop. The Mirror family is proud of its past and present and looks forward to the future in serving as McGregor’s hometown newspaper. It has files of newspapers from 1925 forward with the exception of 1942. The McGregor Mirror has won hundreds of awards over the years from Texas Press Association.
Charles Mooney, Editor/Publisher/Sports
office (254) 840-2091 cell (254) 722-3545
Bonnie Mullens, Associate Editor/Publisher/Advertising
office (254) 840-2091 cell (254) 749-8171
Mynette Taylor, Business Manager/Publisher/Circulation
office (254) 840-2091 cell (254) 744-4875
Fax (254) 840-2097
Hours of Operation:
Located on Main Street in Historic Downtown McGregor